Wednesday, February 02, 2011

The Best Lasagna You've Never Eaten

I have discovered the ultimate improvement in classic comfort food - healthy lasagna! That's right, sans all the fat, but with all the taste...but a very different taste.

I found this recipe on The Kitchn and it sounded like such a great spin on the original (though totally different) I had to try it.

Instead of a heavy, fattening bechemel, you puree cooked butternut squash with a little cheese and milk. I took mine an extra step toward healthy by trading out 3/4 of the cheese with tofu and a little fat free sour cream and honey. Honestly, there are endless various for this "bechemel" - all possibly in your handy dandy food processor. You could do tofu and herbs and make this dish completely vegan.

I didn't have mushrooms to sautee with the card, so I just added some tofu cubes for texture - talk about veggie and protein packed lasagna!

Delicious, not exactly easy (so many pots and pans!), but damn good and eating it provided none of that yucky full feeling of eating traditional lasagna that you know you shouldn't have had three servings of...yeah, you know who I'm talking about. Don't think I didn't see you...


No comments: