Thursday, January 27, 2011

Chickpea Casserole

I have an unearthly love of chickpeas. I think it emerged from my love for my childhood cat, Garbanzo. Love the cat, love the thing it's named after, right? I also briefly had a cat named Cucumber.* And my sister has a cat named Cookie. I now have a dog named Walnut. Do we see a trend here?

Anyway, whenever I come across a chickpea recipe, I just have to try it. Earlier this week I came across a Chickpea Casserole with Lemon and Herbs. Added bonus: only mixing and baking involved, no extra pre-casserole steps like sauteing or sweating.  Hands on time: 15 minutes. Cooking time: 45 minutes. Me loves an easy (and healthy!) vegetarian dish.

Main components of the dish are chickpeas, brown rice, yogurt and cottage cheese, as well as the protein from 2 eggs. I halved my recipe since I have no need to feed 6-8 people at this point in my life (give me 5 years?), and the recipe still turned out fantastic.

If you've got a can of chickpeas lying around, I highly recommend making this delicious homage to my childhood cat Garbanzo.


*(I also have a cat named Rosy, alas she did not fit the food names trifecta.)

No comments: