Monday, December 06, 2010

First Day in the Office

Today I set up my office, started organizing and got to work.

But you don't want to hear about that...you want to hear about food! So I will be posting lots of food related items on this blog, along with a narrative about starting Cherryvale Farms and our first product line, Everything But The. It's going to be a long, delicious road and I'm so excited to have all of your amazing support!

Now, let's talk about butterscotch.

Last night I had an itch for candy, and though I don't have much of a sweet tooth, I have been dying to use my new candy thermometer. So, out it came, along with a big pot for melting down some old fashioned butterscotch.

I used the recipe from The Joy of Cooking, and it goes like this.


2 cups brown sugar
1/4 cup molasses
1/2 cup butter (unsalted)
2 tablespoons water
2 tablespoons vinegar

Now, you'll be shocked at how easy it is to make this. Just combine everything above in a sturdy pot (I used a large, stainless steel soup pot) and bring to a full boil, stirring regularly. Make sure your candy thermometer is arranged on the side of your pot so it is always submerged in the liquid. Keep stirring down the mixture until it reaches 300 degrees, hard-crack stage.

Once it reached 300 degrees, I poured the entire pot onto a greased sheet of tin foil, with the edges bent up slightly so it wouldn't run over. This required yells for help to Daniel in the other room because I needed an extra set of hands. He then tried to eat the molten candy and nearly burned his mouth. I can't blame him.

Here's a picture of the butterscotch poured out into a slab:



Anyone that knows me, knows that I can't just stop with the recipe. I have to doll it up! So I melted some chocolate on a double boiler and spread it over the flat sheet of butterscotch. To cut the sweetness, I shook a little coarse sea salt on top, which really helped bring out the molasses flavor.

And viola! Smash it into pieces and we have butterscotch toffee!

Enjoy!




 

No comments: