Thursday, December 23, 2010

Vegan Thumbprint Cookies

Considering that I'm about to endeavor into the frozen north, aka my parent's house, aka a place that always has a ton of delicious fatty foods around, I figured I'd bake up some low-cal cookies to satisfy my sweet tooth pre-Christmas.

I came across this recipe for Vegan Thumbprint Cookies and it seemed utterly perfect - a little sweet, very little fat and a lot of crunch. Almonds and oats make up the most of the batter, keeping it light as well. The love that the recipe instructs you to put the oats and the almonds, respectively, into the food processor to achieve a soft, flour-like consistency; it provides a really nice consistency to the batter. And the use of maple syrup prevent these thumbprints from getting too sweet- they leave the jam for that!

I used a Plum Jam circa Summer 2009 that I had in the cupboard. My parent's have several fruit trees on their property so every summer is canning season there and this jar was straight is my mother's kitchen. Slightly chunky and a deep purple color, it's a delicious jam that I've yet to make on my own. I figured why waste my money on fruit shipped in from god knows where when I can get it straight from the tree that grew along with me as a child. Quaint, right?


Needless to say, the jam was perfect on these cookies and, though they took a bit longer to cook than the recipe suggested (I blame my spotty oven) they turned out really nicely, with a good crunch and just enough sweet.

If you're looking for a lighter alternative to Christmas cookies this week, give this recipe a try!

Don't we like the little gnome poking his head through the bushes?!

No comments: