Thursday, December 09, 2010

The Simple Things

I've always been a fan of simple, good food. One of the easiest things on the planet to make (and tastes inexplicably better when homemade) is fresh squeezed juice. So this morning I had a bunch of citrus laying around ('tis the season) and decided to do a little squeeze-a-thon.

The great thing about making juice yourself is you can play with the level of sweetness and flavors. This morning I not only had oranges and mandarins, but a past-ripe persimmon and a cut up apple ready for the blending!

I went ahead and juiced all of the citrus and added to the blender full of chopped apple and persimmon. Whirling away, the mixture turned a gorgeous, golden color and was ready for pouring.

Orange Juice 
I'm a fan of pulp-free juice so I simply ran the mixture through a sieve to create a thinner consistency. This also incorporated more air into the juice, which I think makes it taste even lighter. We've all had that orange juice at a diner or even out of the jug that is horribly sweet and cloying. Not this orange juice!

I could have gone to the store, or even that fancy Beverly Hills Juice on Beverly and easily paid $5.00 for this fabulous glass of sunshine. It took five minutes, I can't even make it to down the street in five minutes in LA traffic.

So here I am now, chugging away at my delicious orange juice and telling you all about it. It really is the simple things in life that make it so enjoyable.

The Finished Product

No comments: